Friday, November 16, 2012

Christmas lights at the zoo





  Our zoo's tree was named one of the nations best.  Now granted I maybe biased but I agree.  I've been watching the zoo workers hang the lights including the "Big tree".  I think the lights are just beautiful.  Here are some facts that the zoo posted on their Facebook page.
The Toledo Zoo Some interesting facts about these decorations and the Zoo's energy to power them:

1. The lights on the Big Tree are all LED lights which, besides being dazzling (as you can see), are more energy-efficient than traditional lights. Zoo-wide, more than
half the lights at the Lights Before Christmas are now LED lights, and we are gradually increasing that percentage.

2. We carefully dismantle the lights at the end of each season and re-use them the next year.  PS One thing that they do not mention here is that the checking of all the strands starts in September and yes they go thru each and every light on each and every strand.

3. Part of the energy to power and heat the Zoo comes from solar panels, a wind turbine and a geothermal system.


1 comment:

  1. My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought I should check things out.

    I like what I see so i am just following you.
    Look forward to exploring your web page repeatedly.
    Here is my page - Work from home

    ReplyDelete