Tuesday, August 16, 2011


Saturday July 16, 2011

For whatever reason I woke up thinking about how women took care of their families during the Laura Ingalls Wilder days. The outside temp was going to be in the low 90’s with a very large boatload of sunshine. We are in the middle of a hot spell with very little rain and personally it makes me feel like doing nothing at all.

But like Ma Ingalls I had no choice, I had the garden to tend to. A couple cherry tomatoes and a bowl full of green beans. I also had to be at the toy store by 4:30. Instead of taking the earlier bus and sitting at work until it was time to clock in, I stayed home until the very last minute. All I wanted to do was sit in my bed in the air conditioning but Ma Ingalls was in my head – take care of that garden. That garden will help provide us with food over the long cold snowy winter. Also Greg and I get a great deal of satisfaction tinkering in our garden.

Watching the weather the weather man is calling temps in the 90’s all the coming week. The kitchen has no A/C but Ma Beadle–Peeples has work to do this week;
I need to make the Dilly Green beans with today’s green bean harvest. Dill is not ready so I cleaned and cut the beans, and put them in the freezer.
Need to make the Hungarian mustard with the peppers (from our garden and our neighbor’s garden).
I need to fix the Mulberry jam I made 2 weeks ago – oh bad its very gritty but has a great taste.
I have a hankering for oatmeal cookies.
Not to mention the usual things like washing dishes, laundry, weeding the garden and harvesting any goodies that come forth. Oh and yes we might want to eat sometime so some food will need to be cooked.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, have a look at Bufford's post about the Amish lady working in the heat -- it's inspiring.

    ReplyDelete