Friday, September 25, 2009

Recipe review - 20 minute meatball stew

I started a challenge with myself based on the Julie/Julia movie. Sorry but I was not going to buy a Julia Child cookbook so I used one that my Mom's best friend gave her the last Christmas she was alive. Greg & I are having fun with this common sense, really good food cookbook.


From Reader’s digest cookbook “Like grandma Used To Make

1 can (11 ½ oz) hot style vegetable juice cocktail
3 Tbsp flour
1 can (29 oz) mixed vegetables (the book says large cut), drained
2 ½ cups lower-sodium beef broth
1 can (14.5 oz) low sodium stewed tomatoes, undrained and cut up
½ tsp dried oregano
8 oz ground beef
2 Tbsp bread crumbs (either plain or seasoned)
2 Tbsp milk
1/8 tsp garlic salt
1 large egg white

Directions:
Combine juice cocktail, flour, vegetables, broth, tomatoes and oregano. Bring to boil over high heat.

Meanwhile in small bowl combine ground beef, bread crumbs, milk, garlic salt and egg white.

Drop the meat mixture from a small spoon into the boiling stew. Lower the heat and allow to simmer until the meatballs are no longer pink. Stir occasionally, Serves 4

Decision – YUMMY!!!!! This is a great rib sticking meal that will make a repeat appearance. I served with multi-grain French bread but any soft crust bread would be great.
Changes – instead of using the canned vegetables you could customize it with your favorite mix of vegetables. I added Lima beans and wax beans. I did not use the milk in the meat mixture and had to add approx 2 more tbsp of bread crumbs. Next time I will add a splash or 2 of hot sauce to the meatballs – they tasted flat.

1 comment:

  1. I was a little worried at first from the ingredients but the pic looks so tasty! I bow to you, I have not made a Julia recipe in awhile now.

    ReplyDelete