Monday, September 28, 2009

Thrifty Fire starters

Ingrediants:
Wax
Burning item – sawdust or crayon wrappers
Old metal coffee can – remove any wrappers
Egg carton – either paper or foam. I prefer the paper cartons - save the Earth and all.

Steps
Gather your wax. I use old candles, broken crayons, paraffin wax - any wax, any color. This is the time to save up your candle stubs, the lasting wax from canister candles. I even will use those bummer candles that you buy and they won’t burn. As you collect wax you can hold it in the melting can.

Put the wax into the coffee can.

Place on burner – use a heat high enough to melt the wax but not to burn it. I used a medium heat today. Watch how high your heat is until you get a layer of melted wax in the bottom of the can.

Meanwhile place your burning item in the cups of the egg carton. The only items I have used and will suggest are sawdust or the crayon wrappers. Whichever you use fill the cups about ¾ full.

Once you get about ½ can of melted wax you can pour it carefully in the carton cups. Fill them to the top but don’t spill over and waste your wax.

Leave the cartons sit and cool. They need to sit for at least 24 hours before you use them.
When your ready to use them; For the foam cartons just pop out the starter DO NOT BURN THE EGG CARTON!!!!
For the paper cartons (and one of the reasons I prefer them) just cut a starter, carton and all, place in fire with kindling and light. Stack wood on top and light. Easy fire, nice way to spend an evening with your loved ones.

1 comment:

  1. I knew there was a reason for collecting used candles and I got plenty of egg boxes. Thank you for posting about something so simple but very useful.
    Great project to do with my grandson, only I will do the wax bit myself.

    ReplyDelete