Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2001 – The day we should never forget

I think that September 11, 2001 will be similar to the day that JFK died. We will remember where we were, what happened and how we reacted.

I lived in Baltimore Maryland at the time. I was at work and had just started what was usually a very long 10 hour day of phone calls. Our call volume was lower than normal. I actually was doing work that I usually do on Sundays, fixing problem orders. Honestly it was the best part of my job – I really did (and still do) hate talking on the phone.

We heard the news from one of the incoming calls. The caller asked if we were watching the news and filled us in on a small part of what was going on. At the same time I was calling a customer in New York City – I got a recording that said “due to a natural disaster all incoming lines were down.” When I stood up to tell my Supervisor I heard the reports from other operators. There was commotion as fellow employees looked for a TV or radio – something to give us details. A short time later it was my break time (between 9:30 and 10 am) so I took the opportunity to call home. At that time the 2 planes had crashed into WTC. And the third had just hit the Pentagon. I stayed on the phone as long as I could to get as many details as I could get. My mom called me back when the South tower fell.

We were scared here we are working 15 miles from Aberdeen Proving Ground and hearing rumors of evacuations there. For me it was terrifying here I am 30 miles from home with my son at school 5 miles from Downtown Baltimore. I had to get home to be with him – no way was anything going to happen and me not be with him. The management allowed (like they had a choice) those of us that felt we had to leave to go. A friend gave me a ride home.

We spent the afternoon watching the news. Watching and praying that people could/would survive toe collapse of the twin towers. That they could survive the plane crashes at the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania. Our family could not reach us by phone until around 6:30 pm.

That day life changed for each of us.
Today as we remember the events and those that lost their lives let us give thanks for their bravery and innocence.

No comments:

Post a Comment